Thursday, August 28, 2014

Algebra 2 Solutions Manual vs. Homeschool Mom


This is problem 5 from Foerster's Algebra 2/Trig Solutions Manual, exercise 3-2: 
This website graphs the equation [y=2x-5] the way I would imagine it ought to be done, so the solution above looks wrong to me. But TWO mistakes in the same section seems unlikely, so I'm second-guessing myself. A. LOT. *blush*

Because here's problem 3:
And I'm not sure if this will work, but I put this equation [y=(-3/2)x-4] into Google & got this graph. So again, that's what I got. And it doesn't match the SM. Which is doing nothing to reassure me that, yes, *I* Can Teach Algebra 2. And maybe even Trig. *puddle* :(

2 comments:

  1. [sigh] Incorrect answers in solutions manuals are so frustrating! I agree with you: They both look wrong.

    y=2x-5 if x=0 => y=2*0-5 => y=-5

    y=(-3/2)x-4 if x=2 => y=(-3/2)2-4 => y=-6/2-4 => y=-3-4 => y=-7

    I wish more solutions included at least a little bit of the work showing how they arrived at their answer.

    You can teach this. Looks like you're doing great!

    ~Luke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! And your encouraging words are GOLD to this mom. Thanks again! :)

      Delete